There are growing concerns among professionals in the built environment over implementing the new Lagos State Physical Planning Permit and Building Control Regulations which was expected to sanitize the building sector and encourage sustainable development in Lagos metropolis.
The regulations include some penalties and fines for offenders, some of which are:
1. Any person who starts construction work without giving prior notice to the Agency violate Regulation 1, and he is to pay a fine not exceeding the sum of Two Hundred and Fifty Thousand Naira (N250,000.00) or One (1) month of community service or both.
2. Anybody who will make a building occupied without a certificate of completion and fitness for habitation given by the agency will pay a fine.
3. Developers who cannot comply with fire safety requirements will pay a fine of #250000 and property will be sealed until compliance.
4. If false information is given to the agency, a fine of #250000 will be paid.
5. Anyone who does not get a stage preceding certificate will be charged not less than 250000.
Any developer wishing to plan construction should submit some documents and notice to LASBCA.
Documents include planning permit for the proposed development, sub-soil investigation report with structures above four floors and all developments in areas with low bearing capacity soils, sanitary Inspection and disinfestation report by a licensed Environmental Health Officer.